Explore mystical Mayan caverns and swim in sacred waters, followed by a visit to the hip shopping scene on Play Del Carmen’s famous Fifth Avenue. The first part of your adventure takes you to a hidden underground world the Mayans called Chaak Tun. Chaak is the Mayan god of rain; the name of the caverns literally means “Chaak’s Rain of Stone.” Looking around at the striking stalactite and stalagmite formations, it’s easy to see why. While walking along, learn about the Mayan people and why they revered these fascinating caverns. This tour featuring National Geographic Snorkeler gear makes a great snorkeling experience even better. If you like, go for a rejuvenating swim and snorkel in these sacred waters (gear included), getting a close look at these dazzling works of nature below the surface. You’ll also appreciate the fact that Chaak Tun has been certified by Sustainable Travel International, a global nonprofit with stringent environmental standards.
After, enjoy an authentic, lunch before making your way to Playa Del Carmen, one of the trendiest cities on the Yucatan Peninsula. Fifth Avenue, just two blocks inland from the beach, is lined with hundreds of shops, boutiques, bars and restaurants. Spend an hour and a half browsing for treasures before boarding the ferry back to Cozumel.
• Two-part adventure: Your 6.5-hour tour takes you to mystic Mayan caverns and trendy Playa Del Carmen.
• Chaak Tun Caverns: Explore striking stalactite and stalagmite formations; swim and snorkel in sacred waters (all snorkel gear included).
• Fifth Avenue: Spend 90 minutes browsing this famous thoroughfare lined with hundreds of shops, boutiques, bars and restaurants.
• This tour features National Geographic Snorkeler Gear.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
• Towel (from ship)
• Insect repellent
What to Wear:
• Comfortable clothing
• Hat and sunglasses
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Due to strenuous nature of this tour, pregnant guests cannot participate.
• Guests must be able to lift their own body weight walking in up ladder out of the water.
• Guests with asthma, cardiac problems, diabetes, epilepsy, back or neck injuries, or those under medications such as antidepressants, lithium and beta-blockers cannot participate in this tour.
• Guests must be able to walk, duck to enter some caverns, walk down stairs and through some tight quarters.
• Not appropriate for most guests with physical disabilities or who use walking aids such as canes, walkers or wheelchairs.
Royal Caribbean has selected National Geographic™ Snorkeler gear for the use of our guests on select excursions. The excursions are in no way affiliated or endorsed by National Geographic™.