Hop on a bicycle and get to exploring the vibrant city of Funchal on a dynamic pedaling adventure that takes you past the city’s fortresses, cathedrals, merchant markets, gardens, and historic Zona Velha district. Before hitting the street, meet your experienced cycling guide for a safety briefing on your manual bicycle. Then strap on your helmet and start pedaling through the largest city in Madeira, as you enjoy a unique street-side view of its most impressive landmarks. Travel along the Atlantic Ocean on the Avenue of the Sea and admire the stately façade of the Fortress-Palace of Sao Lourenco, Funchal’s first fortress. View the Gothic stylings of the Cathedral of Funchal and glimpse the Farmers’ Market where local vendors sell produce and fresh seafood. Ride into Zona Velha, the city’s Old Town district and historical center, along narrow streets lined with 19th-century cottages, art galleries and cafes. Here you’ll also see a trio of notable sites: the Fort of Sao Tiago’s yellow-hued walls; the Town Hall’s stone-carved doorway; and colorful flowers, plants and trees growing in the Municipal Garden. This is one unforgettable way to see all of Funchal’s greatest wonders.
What To Bring:
• Cycling: Alongside an experienced guide, embark on a sightseeing ride on a manual bike while wearing a safety helmet.
• Funchal: Travel along the Atlantic coast and discover 16th-century palaces, a Gothic cathedral and the city’s bustling Farmers’ Market.
• Zona Velha: In the Old Town district you’ll see Fort of Sao Tiago, the Town Hall and tranquil Municipal Garden.
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protectionWhat To Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Comfortable clothing
• Wind/water resistant jacket
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .3 miles from the ship to the meeting point and back. Guests must be able to cycle for approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes over various surfaces, with inclines and extended periods of standing.
• Guests must know how to ride a bicycle to participate. Guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Guests should not carry or wear valuable items for this active excursion.
• Helmets and locks included.
• This tour is not suitable for children as there are no bicycles available for them.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.