Bring your appetite and get ready for a palate-pleasing food crawl around the city of Antigua, as you learn local culinary traditions, taste El Sombreron's traditional sweets and hit the cultural highlights of Guatemala. Follow a friendly and knowledgeable guide around Antigua's UNESCO World Heritage Centre, through leafy Central Park and past the stately Cathedral of Santiago. Learn the spiritual folklore of Arco de Santa Catalina and peruse Mayan artifacts in the Jade Museum. Then prepare to indulge in Antigua's delectable cuisine, learning how to make your own Guatemalan enchilada in a garden restaurant. The town's history is represented with each bite, as you savor a buffet of authentic dishes such as chiles rellenos, tamales steamed in banana leaves, kak'ik soup, and other recipes dating back to the Mayan people. Your last stop in El Sombreron offers a taste of the traditional Antiguenos sweets prepared by-hand using centuries-old artisanal methods. The marzipan, canillas de leche, guava curls and candied eggs are of the finest quality in this candy shop. Returning to the ship, you will have a deeper appreciation for this country's distinctive flavors.
• Antigua: Take a sightseeing trip past city parks, grand palaces, sacred cathedrals, the Jade Museum and Arco de Santa Catalina.
• Guatemalan cuisine: Savor local flavors as you cook your own enchilada in an amazing garden restaurant and then sample a selection of buffet-style dishes in a high end restaurant
• El Sombreron: Taste some of the 100 varieties of handmade Antiguenos sweets made using age-old recipes and techniques. Each guest will receive a small bag of guatemalan candies.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Light jacket or pullover
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk over cobblestone surfaces and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• The drive between pier and Antigua is approximately 90 minutes each way.
• Tour sequence may vary.