Relive the haunting history of Port Arthur, one of Australia?s most infamous penal colonies, on a full-day guided walking tour of the grounds that includes a harbor cruise and independent exploration. Enjoy a 90-minute ride in a comfortable, air-conditioned motor coach from Tasmania?s capital city of Hobart southeast to the Tasman Peninsula. Here is where you?ll stroll alongside an informative guide through the open-air museum of Port Arthur, a former convict settlement dating back to the 1800s. As you walk past the guard tower and onsite insane asylum, you?ll hear haunting tales of hardened British criminals and the corporal punishment they suffered before the penitentiary closed in 1877. On a 25-minute boat cruise through picturesque Carnarvon Bay, you?ll cross the harbor to see the tiny Isle of the Dead, where over 1,000 convicts and free citizens were laid to rest. Once back on land, enjoy some free time to roam as you wish and fully take in the prison?s tragic history before returning via bus back to your ship.
• Port Arthur: Embark on a guided walking tour of this former penal colony, which once housed Tasmania?s most dangerous criminals.
• Isle of the Dead: Cruise by boat past this atoll where more than 1,000 prisoners and free Tasmanians were buried.
• Tasmania: You?ll also enjoy free time on this full-day outing to independently explore the prison?s guard tower and onsite asylum.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What To Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Light clothing
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.5 miles over grassy and paved surfaces, with inclines and steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests prone to motion sickness should take precautions.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• The drive to and from Port Arthur is approximately 90 minutes each way.
• Tour sequence may vary.