Get out into Mexico’s wild natural habitats on a five-hour adventure around the Ventanilla Lagoon, where you’ll learn about local conservation efforts while encountering crocodiles, turtles, and other wildlife in their natural habitat by canoe. Relax on a scenic 90-minute bus ride through the Mexican countryside to the indigenous community of La Ventanilla. Here you’ll meet a naturalist guide who shares about local initiatives that have helped protect and preserve the region’s native wildlife and plant life. You’ll also see a small nursery in the surrounding mangrove forest where baby turtles and crocodiles are hatched. Strap on a life vest and head out on a narrated canoe ride around the wilds of Ventanilla Lagoon. Your guide will point out endemic plant species and wildlife including crocodiles, iguanas, turtles, raccoons, crustaceans, and several types of seabirds. Back ashore you’ll be treated to fresh quesadillas prepared in an open-air oven and served with homemade salsa. Fill up on fresh air and Mexican flavors before making the return trip back to the ship.
• La Ventanilla: Learn how locals are working to protect this mangrove forest ecosystem and the small reptile nursery they keep.
• Ventanilla Lagoon: Enjoy a guided canoe ride through a wild waterscape and savor freshly made quesadillas for lunch.
• Wildlife: Keep your eyes peeled for wild crocodiles, turtles, iguanas, raccoons, crustaceans, ducks, herons, deer and more.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Insect repellent
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .7 miles over uneven surfaces, with inclines and about 5 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Guests prone to motion sickness should take precautions.
• Guests should not carry or wear valuable items for this active excursion.
• Guests must sign a waiver form to participate.
• The drive between pier and lagoon is approximately 100 minutes each way.
• Tour sequence may vary.
• Guests must be at least 8 years old to participate.