Venture deep into Huatulco National Park’s wilderness on a 2.5-hour fully guided hike along the ancient Sicaruu Trail, as 9,000 species of plants and abundant native wildlife surround you in every direction. Meet your naturalist guide at the trailhead of a pathway named “beautiful” by the Zapotecs, one of Oaxaca’s largest indigenous communities. Head out on foot across an ancient route that leads you through Huatulco National Park, a 27,000-acre expanse encompassing a mixture of mangrove wetlands, sandy dunes, chamomile fields, and dense forest. Trudge narrow wooded pathways canopied with large trees like the Guanacaste elephant-ear tree, walnut trees, the flowering Pochote tree, and several species of cactus. Along the way your trusty guide will expound on the thriving ecosystem and point out special areas of interest. You may even encounter native wildlife, as white-tailed deer, badgers, armadillos, iguanas, snakes, hawks, and grackle birds are often seen scurrying or soaring around the area. It’s all part of this wildly wonderful journey through Mexico.
• Sicaruu Trail: Embark on a 2.5-hour romp along an ancient trail used by one of Oaxaca’s most influential indigenous groups.
• Huatulco National Park: Explore this protected area’s expansive wilderness, walking past mangroves, wetlands, sand dunes and tall trees.
• Wildlife: Home to 9,000 plant species, the park is also where deer, badgers, iguanas, hawks and other animals roam freely.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
• Insect repellent
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Long-sleeved shirt
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 2.6 miles over uneven surfaces, with inclines and about 4 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate. Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour — particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Guests must sign a waiver form to participate.
• Guests should not carry or wear valuable items for this active excursion.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.
• Guests should not exceed maximum weight of 264 pounds.
• Guests must be at least 8 years old to participate.
• Guests should not exceed maximum age of 70 years.