Set out alongside an expert driver in a four-wheel-drive Jeep on an off-road route that leads you through the White Mountains, past a traditional shepherd’s hut and to Therissos village, where you’ll enjoy a delectable Greek meal. Orange groves, avocado trees and vegetable gardens line the rocky pathway you’ll take across green valleys and plateaus as you ascend the White Mountains, a high range aptly named for its white limestone peaks. Travel along winding roads and through the ruined city walls of Meskla village high up in the mountains to a Mitato shelter that’s only accessible for four-wheel-drive vehicles. Learn about everyday life as a Cretan shepherd, watching a presentation on how to milk and feed mountain goats and sheep — local cheese is also made onsite. Continue your road trip to a small family-owned tavern in Therissos village at the foot of the White Mountains. Take a seat and savor a taste of authentic Cretan cuisine, including Greek salads, lamb and chicken, locally grown produce and boureki (vegetable pie). Savor a glass of red wine or raki (a brandy-like spirit) before winding your way through the breathtaking Theriso Gorge en route back to your ship.
• White Mountains: Amp up the adventure while riding in a 4x4 Jeep along mountain roads and past green valleys.
• Mitato: Learn how local shepherds take care of their livestock and make cheese on a tour of a stone-built hut.
• Therissos: Delight in wine, local spirits and Greek delicacies in a cozy tavern then drive through picturesque Theriso Gorge.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Local currency
• Sun protection
What To Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Guests must be able to walk over uneven and rocky surfaces, with inclines and about 3 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour — particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• This tour is not suitable for guests with limited mobility.
• This tour is not suitable for full-time wheelchair/motorized scooter users.
• Guests prone to motion sickness should take precautions.
• This tour is not suitable for guests suffering from a fear of heights or bumpy roads, or guests who are overweight.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate. Tour sequence may vary.