Imagine exploring the ancient capital of Kyoto at your own pace and according to your personal interests. On this daylong tour, you’ll do just that with the convenience of scheduled motor coach transportation to and from Kyoto, which lies approximately 2.5 hours south of Maizuru. Upon arrival in this historic city, which served as Japan’s capital and emperor’s residence from 794 until 1868, you’ll enjoy more than four hours to explore the city’s cultural treasures and historical monuments as you wish. Home to over 1,000 Buddhist temples and 17 UNESCO-listed sites, you might visit sacred spaces, tour regal castles or wander around tranquil stone gardens. Sip a cup of tea in Gion, the town’s famous geisha district, or stand atop the Kyoto Tower for a spectacular 360-degree view of the city. For an authentic taste of Kyoto, savor a steaming bowl of ramen at bustling Nishiki Market or in a cozy restaurant set along eatery-lined Pontocho Street. Delight in the countless sights and sounds Kyoto has to offer at your leisure before being escorted back to port.
• Kyoto: Spend the day in this ancient capital, which is home to over 1,000 Buddhist temples and 17 UNESCO-listed sites.
• Independent Exploration: Enjoy approximately four hours of visiting shrines, wandering rock gardens, sipping tea or savoring an authentic Japanese meal.
• Scheduled Transfers: Discover Kyoto’s treasures at your own pace with the convenience of motor coach transportation to and from port.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• This tour is appropriate for guests who are able to walk very short distances (100-200 yards) and do not travel with a collapsible wheelchair.
• The tour guide will share the exact location to meet on-site.
• The drive to and from Kyoto is approximately 2.5 hours each way.