This is your chance to experience Lifou’s spectacular natural wonders and authentic tribal culture while on an active adventure that includes a guided nature walk to hidden caverns, plus Melanesian hunting demos and local refreshments. Your two-hour adventure starts in the tiny village of Mucaweng, where you’ll follow an expert guide on foot across rugged jungle trails. Along the way, identify local plant species and learn which ones have been used for ages by villagers for medicinal purposes. Venture down a steep pathway to discover a secret underground limestone cavern. Here your guide will light a torch and then carefully lead you past stalagmites and stalactites formed around a freshwater rock pool. Back outside the grotto, you’ll delight in watching how traditional Melanesian pig hunting and crab trapping techniques are performed — and you’ll even have the chance to meet a live coconut crab. Enjoy a sampling of fresh tropical fruit and lemonade while resting in a shady spot in the forest before making the trek back to Mucaweng for your return coach ride to port.
• Mucaweng: Trudge from town under forest canopy along precipitous trails, as your guide points out local flora along the way.
• Secret grotto: Admire protruding stalagmites, stalactites and a freshwater pool while exploring this underground cave by torch-light.
• Melanesian culture: Watch traditional hunting demos, see a live coconut crab, and enjoy a selection of tropical fruit and lemonade.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
• Insect repellent
• Weather gear, if necessary
What to Wear:
• Shoes with non-slip soles
• Hat and sunglasses
• Conservative attire required
• Guests must be able to walk over uneven surfaces, with inclines and steps and extended periods of standing.
• Pregnant women and guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• As a courtesy, always ask permission before taking photographs of the Melanesian people.
• Be sure that cameras have a flash for use inside the grotto.
• Please respect the local sensitivities and dress appropriately. No swimwear or revealing clothing.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.