Lifou is teeming with tropical scenery, abundant native wildlife and a rich history in vanilla production. On this two-hour excursion you can discover these wonders and more. You’ll first head out via motor coach from the capital town of Easo and travel to the small community of Nathalo, passing jungle terrain, white-sand beaches and Kumo tribal villages along the way. Then set out on foot along a forest trail to Oni Wael nature garden, where you’ll meet some of the local island wildlife. Lifou is home to an abundance of unique bird species as well as bats, snakes and the coconut crab, which is the largest land-living arthropod in the world. Upon arrival at a nearby vanilla plantation, your guide will explain the cultivation, harvest and preparation traditions of vanilla pods in the Loyalty Islands. You’ll also delight in a tasting of sweet vanilla-infused beverages and cakes that are sold at the onsite market. As you head back to port, you will do so with a better understanding of Lifou’s native cultures, wild animals and exporting legacy.
• Lifou: Hop in a motor coach for a panoramic drive past this island’s picturesque villages, cliff-lined seashores and verdant forests.
• Oni Wael: A walk through the nature garden delivers an up-close glimpse of some of Lifou's native creatures including bats, snakes, birds and coconut crabs.
• Nathalo: Tour a local vanilla plantation to learn all about and sample one of the Loyalty Islands’ most profitable crops.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
• Insect repellent
What to Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Conservative attire required
• Guests must be able to walk over grassy surfaces, with inclines and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• This tour is not suitable for full-time wheelchair/motorized scooter users.
• This tour is not suitable for guests with limited mobility.
• As a courtesy, always ask permission before taking photographs of the Melanesian people.
• Please respect the local sensitivities and dress appropriately. No swimwear or revealing clothing.
• Tour is well suited for families with a mild level of activity.
• Participation limited by minimum required for tour to operate.
• The roundtrip coach ride to Nathalo village is approximately 40 minutes.
• Tour sequence may vary.