Delight in a taste of Martinique. Your tour departs the bustling Fort-de-France and heads to the 18th-century Clément House. Here you’ll walk by the sugarcane fields, and learn how the plantation became one of the main rum producers in Martinique. You’ll roam the palm groves of the botanic garden, and visit the plantation’s antique distillery and aging rooms. Enjoy sips of the plantation’s delicious rums, and discover how the Clément House became the site of a critical meeting about the Gulf War between French President François Mitterrand and President George Bush, Sr. Your tour continues to Balata Church located high atop the hills that sit above Fort-de-France. Pull out your cameras to capture images of this beautiful replica of Sacré Coeur Basilica in Paris as well as the magnificent panoramic views. More than 3,000 species of tropical plants and flowers fill the Balata Gardens. Water lilies and lotus blossoms decorate its ponds. Look up into the treetops and you’ll likely see raised wooden rope bridges that allow guests an opportunity to get an aerial view of the gardens. Stroll through the garden, or simply take seat on the bench, smell the fragrant air, and relax in this botanical paradise.
• Clément House: Step back in time as you explore a sugarcane plantation with a rich Creole history.
• Rum Tastings: Sip an assortment of flavorful rums
• Balata Church: See a replica of Sacré Coeur Basilica in Paris.
• Balata Garden: Discover a multitude of colorful botanical plants and flowers.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
• Insect repellent
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Closed-toe shoes
• Conservative attire required
• Guests must be well dressed to enter the church.
• Guests negotiate steps and inclined surfaces.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests prone to motion sickness should take precautions.
• Guests must be of legal age in order to drink alcohol
• Guests need to negotiate approximately 55 steps total at Balata Garden and the old distillery.