Discover the somber story of the ancient Roman city of Pompeii as you explore its uncovered ruins on a half-day, small-group tour that utilizes a wheelchair-adapted van and specially designed path around the historic site. Within a small group limited to only six guests, you’ll first stop by a local cameo factory to see how local skilled artisans have used the same intricate techniques over generations to carve seashells and coral into beautiful jewelry pieces. You can even purchase your very own keepsake souvenir, if you’d like. Then join a guided tour of Pompeii’s timeworn ruins, as you meander along wheelchair-accessible pathways, listen along via headset and travel back in time to Mt. Vesuvius’ fatal eruption in 79 A.D. Once a thriving Roman city and hub for the affluent, Pompeii was buried under volcanic ash and not discovered again for many years later. See how some 23,000 residents lived in mural-laced villas, relaxed in Roman baths, watched entertaining spectacles in the massive arena, and shopped in the marketplace. Your guide will illuminate all you see, offering a glimpse into the everyday lives of Pompeians.
• Cameo factory: Your small-group outing begins with a look into how generations of Italian artisans have carved coral into jewelry.
• Pompeii: Comb the ruins of temples, amphitheaters, and mansions that were unearthed from volcanic ash in this ancient Roman city.
• Accessible highlights: This four-hour tour uses private wheelchair-adapted transportation and an accessible pathway through Pompeii’s archaeological site.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• This tour is designed for those guests who are full time wheelchair users.
• The vehicle used on this excursion is adapted with an access ramp (or lift where available) to accommodate a limited number of wheelchairs.
• Tour must be booked in advance of the cruise in order to secure equipment and departure time.
• Guests interested in this tour must contact in advance of the cruise the Shore Excursions Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to review full details on this tour and availability.
• A wheelchair accessible van and private guide are available for this excursion with 24-hour notice under request.
• Please note that this information is subject to change and availability is not guaranteed.
• Space is limited but a minimum participation is required in order for the tour to operate.
• Guests are required to use headsets provided at Pompeii and must return them at end of tour or pay a substantial fee.
• Tour does not include lunch.
• The drive from Naples to Pompeii is approximately 45 minutes.
• Tour sequence may vary.