Don?t miss your chance to take a walking tour of the ?Art Deco Capital of the World.? In 1931, much of Napier was destroyed by an earthquake. Afterward, the city was rebuilt in the popular architectural style of the day ? art deco. Enjoy strolling past intact facades and streetscapes, admiring the buildings? geometric shapes and precise lines. On your tour, you?ll stop by a number of iconic buildings and learn about their construction; perhaps you?ll see structures such as the National Tobacco Company and Daily Telegraph buildings, to name just a very few.
• 90-minute art deco walking tour: Take a leisurely stroll along the streets of the ?Art Deco Capital of the World.?
• History lesson: Learn how the city rebuilt after a devastating earthquake in 1931, using the geometric shapes and precise lines of the then-popular art deco movement.
• Nowhere else like it: Only Miami Beach, Florida, has a such a large collection of well-preserved art deco structures, but its buildings are Streamline Moderne, a later type of art deco architecture.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
What To Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Hat and sunglasses
• Guests should expect to walk approximately 750 yards over paved surfaces.
• Tour is wheelchair accessible.