Unlock the legacy of Puerto Rico’s coffee industry as you take a guided tour of the 19th-century Hacienda Buena Vista coffee plantation plus enjoy a scenic drive through Ponce’s vibrant cityscapes. After a scenic 40-minute motor coach drive you’ll enter Hacienda Buena Vista, a historic coffee plantation established in 1833 by Don Salvador de Vives. The hacienda was built in both the Spanish Colonial and Criollo styles, and now it is owned and operated as a museum by the Puerto Rico Conservation Trust. Trace the lineage of coffee production as you see the only remaining example of the Barker hydraulic turbine, the first reaction type turbine ever made — this old machinery is still in action today, giving you a first-hand look at how coffee was made years ago. Explore the evolution of coffee, hearing how the nearby Canas River powers the hacienda’s mills, and you might even get a taste of the final product. Hop back in the bus for a panoramic drive through Ponce, Puerto Rico’s second-largest city.
• Hacienda Buena Vista: This restored coffee plantation holds a long history of bean production since first opening in 1833.
• Puerto Rican coffee: Watch a Barker hydraulic turbine in action while learning about the country’s rich coffee-making traditions.
• Ponce: Travel through this sprawling city, viewing grand mansions, and Ponce Creole architecture.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Snacks (from ship)
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Light clothing
• Closed-toe shoes
• Guests must be able to walk over various surfaces, with inclines and steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests must sign a waiver form to participate.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Guests may encounter tour delays and loss of time due to heavy traffic in the area. This is beyond the control of the local agent and/or Royal Caribbean International.
• The drive between Ponce and the Hacienda is approximately 40 minutes each way.
• The road is winding. Guests who suffer from motion sickness should take precautions.
• Tour sequence may vary.