Experience Penang's cultural diversity at a lively food court where vendors known as hawkers cook in small stalls that surround a central seating area. Penangites eat around the clock and you'll discover why at the Gurney Drive Local Hawker or similar. Local specialties reflect the blend of Chinese, Indian, Malay and Thai influences. Choices may include bakkutteh (herbed pork soup), curried noodles and Chinese dumplings. While at the center, shop for spices and special sauces to bring home.
• New World Park Local Hawker or similar: Choose from various Penang specialties cooked by vendors in small stalls arranged around a seating area.
• Spice Shopping: Buy fragrant spices such as cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon and spice-paste mixtures known as sambal.
• Authentic Culture: Penangites and visitors alike patronize hawker centers, with locals known to dine at all hours.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What To Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Comfortable walking shoes
• Food and other purchases are not included in the price of the tour.
• Guests pay separately for whatever they may consume.
• As prior reservations are not available at local stalls, guests may experience congestion at such sites.
• For evening calls, New World Park Hawker Center will be replaced with Kota Bali Hawker Center.