Peek into the past and see the splendor of haciendas during the Yucatan’s colonial period. Listen closely as your guide shares historical insights while in route to Hacienda Sotuta de Peón in rural Mexico. Once you’ve stepped off your motorcoach, you’ll feel like you’ve been transported back in time. You’ll notice people ride atop wooden platforms pulled by mules over Cauville rails. The hacienda is a restored and well-maintained site that offers a glimpse of the grand style and tradition of its past. It was built in the late 1800s and became a fully operational henequen industrial site. Henequen is a native, desert plant with agave characteristics. It was first discovered and cultivated by the Mayans. However, during the colonial period it became known as “green gold,” because it produced many products, such as rope, twine, jewelry, and beverages. It wasn’t until the late 19th century that shredding machines revolutionized the industry making it more prosperous. This led to the development of wealthy homes found throughout Merida. During your tour, you’ll stroll past plantations and colorful buildings and visit a typical Mayan house. You’ll also have the chance to swim in the crystal-clear waters of the Cenote Dzul Ha before ending your trip with a delicious Yucatan-style lunch.
• Hacienda Sotuta de Peón: Learn how henequen became a prosperous industry as you stroll past plantations and colorful buildings and visit a typical Mayan house.
• Cenote Dzul Ha: Swim in the crystal clear waters of the cenote.
• Lunch: Enjoy a delicious Yucatan cuisine.
• Refreshments: Cool off with sips of flavored water.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
• Insect repellent
• Towel from the ship
What To Wear:
• Light clothing.
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Swimsuit under a cover-up
• Guests walk rough and uneven terrain.
• Wheelchair guests and guests with mobility issues should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests must be of legal age in order to drink alcohol.