Take a few hours out of your day to learn about the hunger-fighting mission of Pignon Bleu, as you help prepare meals for local underserved families and participate in the Flattened Traveler project. Pignon Bleu is a community organization dedicated to eliminating child hunger by providing meals, educational outreach, and work training opportunities to underprivileged families in Quebec City. Take a guided visit of the workspaces, rooftop gardens and beehives while learning more about their heartfelt mission. Here they prepare over 4,600 snacks and 115 lunch meals daily, and today you can get in the kitchen for an interactive culinary workshop focused on creating a healthy food culture. Or you might opt to assist in aiding with visual arts activities or English reading and writing skills. The Flattened Traveler project is another way to give back: Take a child's picture, which is attached to a stick, with you on your travels, snapping and emailing photos back to Pignon Bleu to encourage their curiosity for learning about and eventually perhaps traveling on their own to other countries and cities. This three-hour voluntourism outing will leave you with a lasting impression of Quebec City's community culture.
• Pignon Bleu: Learn about this community organization's fight against child hunger while touring its work space, rooftop gardens, and beehives.
• Hands-on: Help prepare meals for underprivileged children, lead an English reading and writing lesson, or engage in artistic activities.
• Flattened Traveler: Spark a curiosity for travel by sharing photos of you traveling the world with a student's stick-figure picture.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Weather-appropriate clothing
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .3 miles over flat surfaces, with inclines and about five flights of stairs and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.