Discover the tremendous geothermal forces seething below Iceland on this "green energy" tour that circles the massive Hengill volcano. See hissing steam vents that only hint at Hengill's power, 2,000 years after its last eruption. Stroll amongst the active hot spring at Hveragerdi's geothermal park. After refreshments, you'll cross the tectonic ridge that splits the Atlantic under Iceland, to reach beautiful Thingvellir National Park, home to Iceland's largest lake.
• Hengill Volcano: Learn how hydro and geothermal power from this active natural source supplies neighboring Hellisheidi Geothermal Plant. The volcano is active in a sense that it provides hot water and energy to the city and neighboring towns.
• Hveragerdi Village: Enjoy refreshments at a local restaurant.
• Thingvellir National Park: See the rugged mountains and lava fields surrounding Iceland's largest lake.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
What To Wear:
• Weather-appropriate clothing
• Hiking/walking shoes
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous".
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.
• Guests must be able to walk approximately 1½ miles over uneven and gravel surfaces.
• Weather is very unpredictable in Iceland. It is highly recommended to wear warm weather and waterproof clothing, as well as good walking/hiking shoes, with a non-slip sole.
• Tour order may vary.