Prepare to experience a feast for your senses as you taste Dalmatian wines at Royal Vineyards and hear the 1,500-year-old story behind Nin Saltworks before breathing in living history on a walking tour of Zadar. Travel to the rocky limestone slopes situated high above Petrcane village to Royal Vineyards, the site of a former Benedictine monastery. Enjoy a welcome drink and learn about the region’s unique microclimate as you taste two types of Dalmatian wines, accompanied by Pag cheese, local snacks, and a spectacular view of surrounding seascapes. In the small town of Nin, embark on an exploration of Nin Saltworks, where they’ve been harvesting salt by hand for centuries. Old photos, tools, wagons and films explain the history and biodynamic properties of the only ecological saline deposited from the Adriatic. Then join an expert guide on a stroll through Zadar’s Old Town district, the oldest continuous inhabited city in Croatia. Enter St. Mary’s Church, founded in 1066, to view a collection of antique relics, religious art and Romanesque frescoes. You’ll also have about 40 minutes to wander as you please — souvenir shopping, seafront strolling, or dining on Croatian cuisine in a cosmopolitan café — before making the trip back to port.
• Royal Vineyards: Taste a selection of Dalmatian wines plus local Pag cheese while learning about Croatia’s distinct wine-producing microclimate.
• Nin: Trace the centuries-old legacy of Nin Saltworks while viewing a collection of photos, tools, films and handmade products.
• Zadar: Enjoy a guided walking tour of Old Town and St. Mary’s museum before freely exploring this historic city.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Walking shoes
• Comfortable clothing
• Hat and sunglasses
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .6 miles over uneven cobblestone surfaces, with inclines and about 45 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests must be of legal age to consume alcohol.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Guide will designate a time and place to rejoin your coach for return to ship.
• Guests who miss the return transportation will be responsible for getting back to the ship.
• Tour sequence may vary.