Peel back the layers of native Alaskan history and cultural traditions on a full-day tour that includes a scenic catamaran cruise, lunch, plus time to browse the Jilkaat Kwaan Heritage Center’s famous Whale House Collection in the Tlingit village of Klukwan. Board a catamaran for a 45-minute glide across sparkling alpine waters as your expert naturalist guide brings to life the natural landscapes around you. Arrive in Klukwan, an ancient Tlingit village in a remote part of southeast Alaska. Trace back thousands of years to the early beginnings and development of native clans while listening along to oral histories articulated by native Tlingit locals. Along the banks of the Chilkat River you’ll enjoy a meal consisting of a sandwich, chips, cookies and fruit. Then enter the Jilkaat Kwaan Heritage Center to discover the Whale House Collection, a highly acclaimed exhibit of Pacific Northwest Coast art, and treasure of the Tlingit people. See houseposts carved by local artists, native clan artifacts, a Chilkat Weaving installation and the famous Rainwall Screen. Head back to your ship with a deeper understanding of and appreciation for Alaska’s native Tlingit people.
• Haines: Seaside scenery, snow-capped mountain peaks, evergreen forests and commentary by a professional naturalist encompass a picturesque catamaran cruise.
• Klukwan: Hear oral histories told by local Tlingit clan members and savor lunch at the Klukwan Hospitality House.
• Whale House Collection: Step inside the Jilkaat Kwaan Heritage Center to peruse an assemblage of artifacts, exhibits and artworks.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Layered clothing
• Guests must be able to walk approximately .2 miles over a variety of surfaces, with inclines and steps and extended periods of standing.
• Photos and/or video may be restricted due to cultural sensitivity.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests prone to motion sickness should take precautions.
• Guests must sign a waiver form to participate.
• Guests should dress for Alaska’s frequently changing weather.
• Lunch may be at the beginning, middle or end of the tour.
• Due to cultural sensitivity there may be some restrictions on photos and video during the visit to Klukwan.
• Tour sequence may vary.