Delve into Stavanger's illustrious history and distinct flavors on a three-hour guided walking tour through the historic Gamle district that includes Norwegian delicacies at the Norwegian Canning Museum and Stavanger Maritime Museum. Head out on foot alongside a local guide who will lead you along narrow cobblestone paths around 18th-century white cottages, art galleries and craft boutiques that fill Stavanger's old Gamle neighborhood. Then step back in time at the Norwegian Canning Museum, where in an authentic factory setting, you'll learn about the city's canning industry in the 1800s, viewing the machinery used at the Venus Packing Co. and savoring sardines, salmon and sprat (Norwegian brisling) from the production line. Your route then leads you to the dockside Stavanger Maritime Museum, where you'll explore exhibits that bring to life the development of the harbor, local herring fisheries, shipbuilding traditions and coastal culture. View elaborate boat models, a recreated Monson Shipping Company office, and a sail-maker's workshop. Then delight in a spread of dried mutton, and lefse (Norwegian flatbread) served with tea and coffee.
• Gamle: Discover artisan galleries and 18th-century whitewashed cottages while walking around this old town district.
• Norwegian Canning Museum: Explore the canning process, from start to finish, before sampling the factory's sardines, salmon and sprat.
• Stavanger Maritime Museum: Trace the town's seafaring and shipbuilding legacy to the 1800s, plus eat dried mutton, and lefse.
What to Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Cash/credit cards
• Sun protection
What to Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Walking shoes
• Jacket or sweater
• Guests must be able to walk for approximately 2 hours over flat surfaces, with inclines and about 36 steps and extended periods of standing.
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• Guests in wheelchairs and others with limited mobility should not select this tour.
• Guests with back/neck problems should not select this tour.
• Guests with concerns should consult their personal physician.
• Participation limited but minimum required for tour to operate.
• Tour sequence may vary.