Hike with a guide to the summit of Mount Vesuvius, the still-active volcano that buried Pompeii in 79 A.D. Reward yourself with panoramic views of the volcano's crater and the sparkling Bay of Naples. Then descend for a guided walking tour of Pompeii, one of the world's most amazing, well-preserved archaeological wonders. Discover how the citizens of the Roman Empire worked and played, ate and drank, lived and loved, and tragically died.
• Mount Vesuvius: Starting at 3,000 feet, you'll trek narrow mountain paths, zigzagging 1000 feet higher, to the crater's rim.
• Volcanic Rim: Skirt the edge of the crater with an alpine guide, while enjoying breathtaking views of the bay.
• Pompeii: Destroyed by Mount Vesuvius, these ruins offer a fascinating look at daily life under imperial Rome 2,000 years ago.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• Sea Pass card and photo identification
• Cash/Credit cards
• Sun protection
What To Wear:
• Appropriate weather gear
• Hat and sunglasses
• In Pompeii, guests will be dropped off and picked up at the coach parking area, which is approx. 10-15 minutes walk to the entrance of Pompeii.
• Guests with pre-existing neck, back, knee and/or shoulder injuries, cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour - particularly tours categorized as "strenuous". Guests suffering from heart disease and high blood pressure should not select this tour.
• Guests must consider their physical fitness level and medical history when determining whether this tour is appropriate.
• Guests who have concerns must consult with their personal physician before engaging in any activity that may be strenuous for them.Guests must be able to walk approximately 2-1/2 miles over varying terrain.
• Guests should use caution when walking across lava and rocky ground where fumes and heat exude.
• If Mount Vesuvius is closed due to bad weather, the hike will be replaced by an orientation drive around Naples.
• There are no facilities available at the summit of Mount Vesuvius or the excavation site of Pompeii.
• Time permitting; guests will visit a cameo factory.
• Tour sequence may vary.
• For security reasons, it is forbidden to enter Pompeii excavations with big bags, backpacks or trolleys. Please be aware that lockers are not available at the entrance of excavations.