Hop in a jeep for a scenic journey to the world-famous Carrara marble caves. Along the way, admire picturesque villages along the Liguria and Tuscany coastlines. Reaching the rugged Apuane Mountains, you?ll see what seems to be snow-capped peaks; astonishingly, the white is the marble quarried from the mountains since the Roman Empire.
During the visit to the caves, discover the marble extraction and treatment process. Carrara marble is one of the most valuable marbles in the world. These caves provided marble for Roman houses, served as the marble for Michelangelo?s David, and formed London?s iconic Marble Arch. During your visit, see the Carrarini (marble workers), learning how they work and getting a glimpse into their daily life. Soon after you will reach the village of Colonnata, famous for its food specialty called "Lardo di Colonnata." This snack features an Italian cold cut prepared with rosemary and other herbs and spices and is cured for months in basins made of Carrara marble. This extraordinary delicacy is unique to the region and dates back to Roman times.
• Journey by jeep: Admire picturesque villages along the Liguria and Tuscany coastlines; behold the rugged Apuane Mountains.
• Explore marble caves: The world-famous Carrara caves have supplied marble since Roman times; discover the marble extraction and treatment processes.
• Lardo di Colonnata: This unique, delicious Italian cold cut is cured for months in basins made of Carrara marble.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
What To Wear:
• Hat and sunglasses
• Comfortable shoes
• Tour is not wheelchair accessible.