Board a kaiki, a traditional fishing boat, and sail to the foot of Santorini?s famous volcano, Nea Kameni, for a brisk hike up to the crater. Santorini was a circular volcanic island before a massive eruption blew out its middle. The rush of water into the void created a tsunami, devastating Minoan Crete. The islands of Nea Kameni and nearby Palea Kameni, which take starring roles in your tour, emerged from the water after volcanic activity in 197 BC and 1707 AD. They are still active today. As you make your way up Nea Kameni, look for fragments of magma as well as volcanic rock formations. At the top, relax and enjoy the breathtaking view. Marvel at the contrast of the dark, ashen cliffs against the blue Aegean Sea, making for incredible photo opportunities. On the way back, sail toward the thermal springs at Palea Kameni, known for its medicinal properties.
• Two-hour adventure: Journey to a still-active volcano for a hike up to the crater, rewarding yourself with amazing views.
• Nea Kameni: Look out for lava pieces and volcanic rock formations; behold the dark cliffs against the blue Aegean Sea.
• Thermal Springs at Palea Kameni: These springs are known for their medicinal powers against skin and bone disease.
• THIS TOUR IS OPERATED BY A TOUR OPERATOR THAT HAS BEEN THIRD-PARTY VERIFIED TO AN INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNIZED SUSTAINABILITY STANDARD.
What To Bring:
• SeaPass card and photo identification
• Sun protection
• Cash/credit cards
What To Wear:
• Light clothing
• Hat and sunglasses
• Consider physical fitness and medical history when selecting tour.
• This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
• Those with walking difficulties should not select this tour.
• Pregnant women and guests with cardiovascular problems should take into consideration the high temperatures (June through September) as well as the volcanic fumes.