If your next vacation is bringing you to Falmouth or Montego Bay, it may be tempting to spend all day relaxing on the sand with a cold Red Stripe, but we recommend checking out at least one of these amazing activities available on this vibrant, tropical island. Then you can treat yourself to a cold one.
- Bobsledding. That’s right, this snow-free island is famous for sledding. Hold on tight as a bobsled whips you through 3,280 feet of twisting, turning track and imagine what it might be like to compete in the Olympics, just like the Jamaican team has done six times since their 1988 debut. (They even inspired the 1993 cult-classic Cool Runnings.)
- Horseback Riding. Saddle up and follow scenic trails through two former sugar plantations, and then ride your steed straight into the surf of the Caribbean Sea. These gentle horses are actually retired polo ponies (though not water polo) and in love with the water; after all, it’s how they cool off, too!
- Flavor Tour. Cook up some of Jamaica’s signature dishes in a beautiful 18th-century Great House veranda — you’ll enjoy the delicious lunch you made yourself and return home knowing how to whip up delicious jerk sauce, coconut “run down” with shrimp and of course, jerk chicken.
- Dunns River Falls. Climb the famous waterfall for a challenging (but refreshing!) trek up the falls. Just make sure to bring your water shoes. Not up for a climb? You can visit the falls and simply observe them from a (dry) viewing platform.
- Bob Marley Experience. Affectionately known as the “Graceland” of Jamaican music, this tour will take you to the birthplace and resting place of Bob Marley, the king of reggae. Not only will you listen to the music, you’ll learn all about the Rastafarian culture and tradition.
- Bamboo Rafting. Similar to a Venetian gondola gone tropical — this one’s made of bamboo and, instead of gliding through canals, floats you down a three mile stretch of the beautiful Martha Brae River, famous for its tranquil waters and lush greenery.
- Underwater Trekking. No, you don’t have to be scuba certified (or have superhuman lungs!) to walk on the ocean floor. A Sea Trek helmet will cover your head and provide you with a steady source of air as you descend 12 feet beneath the surface to interact with dolphins and colorful sea life.
- Beach Bumming. Get some sun and relaxation at an all-inclusive beach resort like Jewel of Runaway Bay. You can swim in the Caribbean, try your hand at windsurfing and savor in unlimited cuisines and even an open bar.
- Catamaran Snorkeling. Sail a state-of-the-art 53-foot catamaran along the colorful coast of Montego Bay. Lounge on the boat as you get transported to Bogue Lagoon, a marine wonderland. Strap on a snorkel mask to see an underwater world of coral and fish.
Still can’t decide on which shore excursions to do? You can always opt for a combination experience that will give you a taste of the island’s natural beauty, history and delicious delights.