- 2 cups (475 ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (235 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) instant coffee
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Kahúla® or coffee liqueur
- 5 espresso shots, chilled or ⅓ cup (90 ml) coffee sauce (purchased)
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream, whipped
- Candied coffee beans
- Cigarette biscuits
- In a saucepan over medium-heat, warm milk, cream, ½ cup of sugar and instant coffee for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and milk is simmering.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium glass or stainless steel bowl, using an electric mixer at high speed, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar for 5 minutes or until light, yellow and thick.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly incorporate warm milk mixture.
- Fold in vanilla extract, instant coffee and coffee liqueur and pour mixture back into saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened.
- Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Pour mixture through a sieve into a glass bowl.
- Let cool slightly before covering with plastic wrap and chilling.
- Pour mixture into an ice cream machine and process as directed by manufacturer.
- Transfer into a container.
- Cover and freeze.
- To make Café Liégeois, place 3 scoops of coffee gelato into chilled bowls.
- Drizzle with cold espresso shots or coffee sauce.
- Top with rosettes of whipped cream.
- Garnish with candied coffee beans and a cigarette biscuit.