{{ notfound }}

What forms of ID are required for minors traveling on Royal Caribbean?


For Australian domestic sailings:

For Australian and New Zealand residents and citizens, children (17 years and under) will be required to present a laminated government issued photo ID or passport. If the child does not have a photo ID, the following will be accepted:

  • Original birth certificate
  • Certified copy of the birth certificate
  • Medicare card*

For Non-Australian or New Zealand residents & citizens, children (17 years and under) will be required to present a valid passport.


For International sailings:

             All children (17 years and under) will be required to present a valid passport.

For International sailings:

Aside from a valid photo ID, a notarized letter signed by the child's parent(s) authorizing the adult to take the child on the specific cruise, supervise the child, and allow emergency treatment to be administered, if needed. This is necessary even when the adult traveling is part of the child's extended family (i.e. aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc). Sample letter can be downloaded here.


*A Medicare Card can be used as the only identification for children when all guests share the same last name. In the instance where the parents name differs from the child, they would require an original or certified birth certificate. The Medicare Card can then only be used to list the child and parent are the same family proving guardian ship. Digital Medicare ID card is not accepted. Please ensure to bring the physical, laminated ID card.


For U.S. citizens:

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notorized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding. 

Discrepancies may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.


Still need help? Contact Us

Get support by Phone or Email

Previewing: Promo Dashboard Campaigns

My Personas