{{ notfound }}

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (US citizens)?


For US Sailings

US Citizens may sail using their:

  • Official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government-Issued Photo ID, like a driving licence or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.


  • US Passport that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise. Passports are required for Cuba sailings.
    • Lastly, below are details if you need additional information about your passport or visa.
      • Visit the United Sates Department of State travel information website.
      • Visa Central is the passport and visa service provider that we recommend. When you contact Visa Central, reference our account 44988 for reduced service fees. Contact Visa Central:

Puerto Rican citizens should review their birth certificates and ensure that they are up to date. Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to 1 July 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship.  The Government of Puerto Rico has partnered with document provider VitalChek to provide an expedited method for ordering new birth certificates. To apply through this method please visit:  www.vitalchek.com. Vital Check also offers a bilingual call centre available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Processing and delivery fees apply. To apply through this method please call: 1800 754 500 (AU) or 0800 102 123 (NZ).

United States Permanent Residents must have a United States Permanent Resident Card, and a passport from your home country is strongly recommended. Click here for additional information.

For International Sailings- US Citizens require a passport with a minimum of 6 months validity past the return of your sailing and the corresponding visa required for entry and exit from the country.

For Cuba Sailings - All cruises to Cuba require a passport (NO passport cards or other forms of ID will be accepted) valid for at least 6 months after the sailing date, for all guests including minors, acquiring the appropriate visa, and the completion of the Travel Certification document identifying which of the 12 general licences you are travelling under. Each guest must bring two printed, completed copies of the Travel Certification document to the pier on embarkation day.

It is important that the name on your reservation is exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g. marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g. a state, county or province-issued marriage licence, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a statutory declaration. Additionally, if you are using an identification document (e.g. driver's licence) and a citizenship document ( e.g. birth certificate), BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Discrepancies may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

Still need help? Contact Us

Get support by Phone or Email

My Personas