{{ notfound }}

How do I receive a Win/Loss Statement or W-2G?


In order to receive a Win/Loss Statement, please make sure to complete a Win/Loss Statement request form, have it notarized, and email it to CasinoCredit@RCCL.com.


NOTE: All Win/Loss requests submitted must have the Win/Loss Statement document completed and notarized to be processed. Failure to do so will result in your request not being processed.

Still need help? Contact Us

Get support by Phone or Email

Previewing: Promo Dashboard Campaigns

My Personas