- 1 9” x 13” (23 x 33 cm) glass oven proof baking dish
- Cheese grater
- Chef’s knife and cutting board
- Large pot or stockpot
- Large saucepan
- Small saucepan
- Rubber spatula
- Wire whisk
- Wooden spoon
- Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 26-ounce (454 g) package lasagna pasta or pasta sheets, store bought
- 4-ounces (120 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 4-ounces (120 g) shredded Monterey cheese
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 pound (450 g) lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) of tomato paste
- ¼ (60 ml) red wine
- 1 (16 ounce) or (450 g) can of chopped tomato
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) Herbes de Provence or Italian Seasoning blend
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (85 g) butter
- 1/3 cup (85 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) warm milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 175°C
- To soften lasagna, bring a large pot of salted water and oil to a boil.
- Add pasta 2 to 3 at a time and stir.
- Return to a boil and cook for 5 minutes or until lasagna sheets are soft.
- Remove from water and lay on wax paper or aluminum foil to avoid stickiness.
- For meat sauce, in a saucepan over medium heat, warm oil and sauté onions for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add meat and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until meat begins to brown.
- Stir in tomato paste and deglaze with wine.
- Add chopped tomatoes, water, sugar and herbs and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- For white sauce, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and whisk in four, nutmeg and salt.
- Cook roux for 2 minutes (do not brown) then slowly incorporate milk, stirring constantly for 5 to 6 minutes or until smoothed and thickened
- Mix cheese in a small glass or stainless steel bowl
- To build lasagna, pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of meat sauce in a 9” x “13 pan, top with a layer of pasta (lengthwise) a layer of white sauce, a layer of meat sauce and sprinkle with cheese mix.
- Repeat twice ending with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and serve in warmed plates, garnished with julienned basil.
- Enjoy with your favorite Chianti
Serves: 6 | Difficulty: 3